[WikiEN-l] FBI vs. Wikipedia

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Aug 10 11:46:29 UTC 2010

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:47 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Carcharoth
>> <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Oh wait, I found a page here:
>>>
>>> http://www.fbi.gov/priorities/priorities.htm
>>>
>>> That would be a better source for images, but the images don't seem to
>>> be there.
>>
>> Older revisions have the image:
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20040825160713/http://www.fbi.gov/priorities/priorities.htm
>
> Thank-you! I was right about the badges changing over time. The badge
> in 1908 is very different from the other ones.
>
> Carcharoth

So, is this possible section appropriate or over the top:

==Badges==
[[File:HistoricalFBIBadges.jpg|thumb|right|200px]]
Beginning in 1908 when agents of the precursor of the FBI were known as
the "Special Agent Force" s series of similar badges have been displayed
by agents. Badges have consistently featured a shield topped by an eagle
with the prominent initials "US" and either "Bureau of Investigation" or
"Division of Investigation" at the top and "Department of Justice" at the
bottom. There is a central image of Justice which is blindfolded with a
scale in her right hand and a sword in her
left.<ref>[http://web.archive.org/web/20040825160713/http://www.fbi.gov/priorities/priorities.htm
Archived FBI "Facts and Figures"] which contains "Badges.jpg" displaying
historical FBI badges. Display and possession of FBI badges and other
identification and insignia is governed by 18 U.S.C § 701 which provides:
identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the
head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any
officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or
photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any
engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such
badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation
thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months,
or both.</blockquote>

Fred