[WikiEN-l] FBI vs. Wikipedia

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:16:41 UTC 2010

I don't believe an encyclopedia has what is meant by a legal duty of care
(all deference to the lawyers among us).

Duty of care is usually a term in civil law relating to a case where someone
may be expected to rely on a statement or representation to the point that
the statement should not be made recklessly. While a criminal case could be
made for some imagery (legal opinion needed), or a moral case for other
imagery (not a legal issue), duty of care is probably not tenable.

As to the other, the answer is that I would not expect to learn anything
from the badge as to whether the person presenting it is genuine or not.
That's not how I would check (seems incredibly naive) and someone who did
rely on a shape shown to tham is in the same category as people who let
strangers in their house because they wore a uniform and claimed to be from
the police or whoever (namely, hopefully not too badly harmed when it goes
wrong).

Most people don't meet the FBI on a routine basis so they have no way to
know what's genuine and what isn't, and badges won't help. Considering
average ignorance about basics (moon v sun being closer, basic science, etc)
I would be amazed if more than a couple of % could determine a fake FBI
badge anyway.

FT2