[WikiEN-l] Destructionism

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 17:53:32 UTC 2010

> Personally I wouldn't objecting to putting FAs into flagged revs for
> the day they're on the front page. This would present the pretty face
> and still allow the IPs in. But I don't feel strongly enough to
> particularly press the point.

Personally I think that eventually *all* FAs should be put at least
under flagged revision.

Or that seems IMO to be a reasonable goal (long term) if the flagged
revisions experiment works out and they get rid of any remaining
performance issues.

The reason is that improving articles is going to get more and more
difficult; there will have been lots and lots and lots and lots of
really smart people that have polished those articles over many, many
years, and the chances of any random edit being an improvement is,
realistically, going down with time, particularly for FA articles.

Past some point, say, >90% of edits to the highest quality articles
are going to be by somebody not understanding something or vandalising
something. On some articles we're probably already there, but people
are somewhat in denial about it.

Which isn't to say we'll ever going to have *provably* seen the last
edit on any article, which is why flagged revisions seems a reasonable
idea, rather than locking.

--
-Ian Woollard