[WikiEN-l] Destructionism

William Beutler williambeutler at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 17:04:29 UTC 2010

I don't think I'm putting polish above content, at least that's not my
intention. I agree that content is more important, and it deteriorates just
the same. Stevertigo's comment that started this thread included the
supposition that in some article "perfection has already been achieved" --
well, that I don't agree with, and so I don't think there is any such thing
as a "final stage of content review" except existentially. The final stage
is not the end.

So I am in favor putting loose restrictions around certain classes of
articles, be they FAs or BLPs. I think what I'm saying is, less
well-developed articles and those which carrying lower stakes benefit more
openness, because it increases the chance that they will be improved (many
have nowhere to go but up).

But when an article is functionally complete -- where the record of known
facts and significant viewpoints is set, barring future developments -- then
I think something like flagged revs is a good idea. It's a small-c
conservative viewpoint, about protecting what is good. And I wouldn't even
necessarily go so far as flagged revs, I just think an editor should be more
than an IP or unconfirmed user before they get to tinker with those articles
.