[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for April 29

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 30 23:11:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/2010 01:34 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>>> but the general point
>>>
>> This already happens when users edit.  Otherwise anons would never be
>> able to get the new messages indicator.
>

> That's good to know. I'll pass this on to the team and we'll see what we
> can come up with. One question for any interested stakeholder: is this
> feature worth delaying launch to add? We have a number of nice-to-haves
> on a list to work on right after launch, so development will continue.
>
> Also, Howie Fung, the UI expert on the project comments:
>
>> We can always soften the message a bit by changing the language, color
>> and/or providing a link with an explanation.
>
> So if people have suggestions on how to improve any of that, on any
> other aspect of the current implementation, please put them here:
>
> http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:FlaggedRevs_issues

You could dangle a carrot and say "if your edit gets approved, you get a prize!"

That would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

But seriously, the issue of encouraging people to edit is crucial.
Those who want to edit for malicious reasons will nearly always be
prepared to jump through hoops, and those most likely to be
discouraged by extra hoops to jump through will include those we want
to attract to become new and regular editors.

All in all, if what Greg describes can be done, that sounds best, even
if it seems a bit misleading.

Carcharoth