[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for April 29

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 19:03:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:24 PM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that we can't do that. Because
> most pages for non-logged-in users are served from caches, most requests
> don't make it to the point where we can easily show different versions
> of a page based on cookie.

In general, Squid does not served cached pages at all to users with
cookies.  If it sees a cookie in the request, it just forwards it to
the application servers.  Viewers with cookies might be logged in, and
Squid can't tell if a cookie represents a valid login -- it has to
give it to MediaWiki, which can check in memcached and so on.

Some details of the above might be incorrect, but the general point
remains -- you can set a cookie for an unregistered user and it will
work as you'd like, causing the user to skip the Squid cache on all
pages until the cookie expires.