[WikiEN-l] IPA issues

Peter Jacobi peter_jacobi at gmx.net
Wed Apr 28 09:33:52 UTC 2010

> David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> To me IPA is likely to remain one of the  scripts I will never learn,
> and whether I ought to learn it is besides the point The enWP is
> written in English. The explanations are in English. The
> pronunciations have to be given in a form English readers can read,
> even if it is only approximate.

You forget an important point. enWP has many readers and contributors with English as second language. They usually use IPA as reference how English is pronounced and have been taught English this way. So effectively IPA is more native to them than all these ugly English pronunciation guides.

Regards,
Peter

[[User:Pjacobi]]