[WikiEN-l] Citizendium dead?

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 23 20:00:22 UTC 2010

Fred Bauder wrote:
> A lot of this sort of trouble results when an expert edits without citing
> good sources. Students often can edit more successfully because they have
> appropriate references at hand.

Interesting. This all sounded like absolutely standard "blog comment"
complaint: the kind of beefs you get whenever someone blogs about WP,
and contributions to the debate are largely anecdotes "I edited
Wikipedia once and ...".

So I thought I'd try a Google on "wikipedia is"+blog. And the _very
first hit_ contained two gems:

- someone complaining in 2010 about a one-line unreferenced BLP speedied
CSD A7 in 2006 (which is the kind of thing I meant);

but also

- the WMF's current CTO writing this: "I've heard horror stories from
many of my friends around the FOSS world who have tried to edit in areas
where they are domain experts, only to give up because its too hard to
get edits to "stick"."

So which is it: Wikipedians are phobic about academics _and_ "Free and
open source software" experts? Its own traditional demographic. Or there
is the issue of "user unfriendliness" being read as "hostility"? The
latter is an issue identified by the usability initiative, broadly
speaking. It is perfectly reasonable to identify the "edits sticking"
issue as troublesome. As with the first example, you would have to know
more about the circumstances. Is this is the system working as it is
intended to, or on the other hand some self-styled Linux wizard
reverting from the hip?

Charles