[WikiEN-l] Citizendium dead?

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 23 14:31:25 UTC 2010

Marc Riddell wrote:
> And, on not-so-obscure websites, where there is a clear - and acute -
> academiphobia present.

I can show you the academic mathematicians editing, if you like. It's
worth analysing the "black legend" that Wikipedia hates academics,
though. Fred's comment "Serious academics are knocking down big bucks
and writing books" is partly wrong. It would apply to, say, [[Niall
Ferguson]], though it must be said that his reputation has taken
something of a hit recently. It would not apply to academics who are in
academia because money is low on their list of priorities (yes, these
guys are definitely not normal). It would not apply to academics who
enjoy intellectual work, while writing books is mainly work work. It
seems to me that we get many graduate students editing: now why would
these people be at the same time academiphobic, and putting themselved
into straitened circumstance to hammer on the door of an academic career?

Having interacted with a couple of the more high-profile academics who
have run into serious trouble on WP, I think I know the conditions that
cause the trouble (roughly speaking, a lack of acceptance that a website
is going to have policies and is entitled to have them, quite
indepedently of the eminence of someone who would like to turn pages to
other uses). I believe there must be many more cases of "I think what
you're doing is not that interesting" from academics, than such
trainwrecks. I believe the attitude we have to credentials is relatively
sensible - typically a doctorate doesn't qualify anyone to pontificate
over more than a small area.

And the clear blue water between WP and CZ is not necessarily
disadvantageous to us. They reportedly have some issues with fringe
science being supported by their hierarchy, to the extent that it could
be an embarassment to dislodge it. What WP certainly has is a
disrespectfulness for the person set against a respect for the
referencing of what they submit. I'm yet to be convinced that that is a
wrong decision. It certainly beats the other way round.

Charles