[WikiEN-l] IPA issues

quiddity pandiculation at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 00:11:40 UTC 2010

As the page banners say, it's a recurring question. These are some of
the relevant links:
Discussions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:IPA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:International_Phonetic_Alphabet
The templates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:IPA-en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:IPA-all
2 alternatives we can use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:USdict
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Respell
Associated project:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_%28pronunciation%29
A Comparison of the various systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_respelling_for_English

So: It's complicated. All options are imperfect. Different
imperfections vex various people.
(Or at least, that was the conclusion I came to, after complaining
about same, and investigating, last year.)

Quiddity