[WikiEN-l] robotically generated content

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 22:09:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> You'll love this blog entry:
>
> http://www.cuil.com/info/blog/2010/04/13/cpedia-and-its-detractors

He's not too far off the mark with some of his comments in that blog;
it's an unfortunate side effect of the style of communication the
Internet encourages that experimentation is often subject to vitriol
and mocking instead of thoughtful criticism. Personally, I think the
potential constituents for online sources of information only benefit
from this type of work. This first public draft of a computer
generated encyclopedia is deeply flawed, but it has some design
elements we could really learn from -- and even its initial failure
has lessons for people interested in the wide dissemination of
knowledge.

Nathan