[WikiEN-l] PR consultants: perhaps Wikipedia is not the ideal promotional medium

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Apr 4 16:00:56 UTC 2010

I think we are pretty much in agreement.

If there is gray area, it is the PR person's job to maximally exploit
that without ever getting caught. It's our job to minimize the gray area.

I think the reason people feel that we can generally detect PR spin in
the wiki environment is that PR people aren't used to dealing with us.
Their habits are mainly tuned for broadcast media and the general
public, so their attempts at manipulation often look clumsy and obvious
to us.

However, it is still early days. The first step will be them learning to
stop being obvious jerks, and this article is a fine example of that.
But if Wikipedia is actually important to them, they will learn how to
play the game like any other skilled POV pusher. And unlike the hobbyist
POV pushers we have now, these people will be professionals, ones
playing a long game. They'll have a number of advantages, like a steady
paycheck and an information asymmetry that strongly favors them.

Having watched skilled PR people totally play professional journalists,
I'm sure that they'll learn to play us just as well. For us, that will
mean appearing earnest, helpful, concerned about a balanced article,
etc, etc. It will mean knowing about our policies and culture. It will
mean providing useful references, building good articles, and generally
being a good citizen. They'll learn how to build trust with us in the
same way that they have learned how to build trust with journalists, and
then they will use that trust to the benefit of their clients, because
that's their job.

Like you and DGG, I think their interests and ours coincide about 90% of
the time, so I don't have a big problem with that. If they are pros, the
good ones won't cause the trouble that blatant POV pushers cause. I just
wouldn't want people to forget that PR people are paid POV pushers with
an ineradicable conflict of interest, no matter how nice and helpful
they learn to become.

William