[WikiEN-l] PR consultants: perhaps Wikipedia is not the ideal promotional medium

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Apr 3 16:58:39 UTC 2010

On 04/02/2010 12:51 PM, Fred Bauder wrote:
> Here's the question: If you can't tell it's PR, is there anything wrong
> with it?

Possibly, which is the problem. The main function of PR is to put the
best spin on things in a way that everybody accepts that as the truth.
By its nature, it's unavoidably POV and COI. Bad PR gets caught doing
this; good PR doesn't.

Wikipedia has shifted the balance of power some: there are new ways for
PR people to get caught, and importing their broadcast-media habits
makes them look dumb. But I have every reason to expect that PR people
will adapt. Even so I think they'll have a hard time shifting the tone
much on articles that get a lot of attention; the room to spin there is
small. But for more obscure topics, I think there's plenty of gray area
within which they can construct an article that suits their purposes.
Purposes that are necessarily different than ours.

William