[WikiEN-l] Things to do with your home movies

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 02:08:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's not too hard now if you're running Firefox 3.5.  Just edit your
>> video in whatever video software is easiest on your machine (e.g.,
>> Windows Movie Maker) and save a high quality version in a convenient
>> format (e.g., AVI, MPEG, other common formats), then go firefogg.org,
>> install the plug-in, click "make ogg", and use the default encoding
>> settings.
>>
>> If you're feeling especially ambitious, you can add metadata and/or
>> fiddle with the resolution and bit-rate settings (all through
>> firefogg).  Converting to Commons-ready ogg with firefogg is actually
>> easier than uploading a file to Commons.
>
> Hmm, sounds like that would make a good extension to Commonist.

Firefogg is part of the "add media wizard" that (I think) is being
refined for default deployment on Commons.  (It's already available if
you add a bit of code to your javascript page.)  So yeah, sooner or
later it will be possible for many users to simply upload their
non-free format videos have them seamlessly transcoded.

Along the same lines, hopefully Commonist will simply become
unnecessary and batch uploads possible without extra software.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> See now...when I read Steve's question, I was thinking about the "hard work"
> of taking care of the star of the film...

All the jokes I thought of in response require too much familiarity
with me to be unambiguously non-sexist to WikiEN-l subscribers, so
I'll just say... that's how I read the question at first, too.

-Sage