[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 27 21:31:22 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> I would also be *very* wary of reports from partisans of what ArbCom
>> has done, or has been doing this year.
>>

> <snip>
>

>> Also remember that critics of ArbCom have more time to devote to
>> spinning things their way. Individual arbitrators, and ArbCom as a
>> whole, often don't have time to respond to protracted and drawn-out
>> (over months and years sometimes) criticisms of previous or current
>> decisions. That is a weakness of the model. The single-minded person
>> can, through a process of continual misrepresentation without
>> rebuttal, gradually wear people down and effectively rewrite the story
>> of what happened.
>>

> I appreciate that Arbcom may be understaffed, and I estimate that
> needs to be triple its current size.** But the notion that hard
> limitations on signal are required for thoughtful deliberation is a
> false one.

I believe you are misreading what is said here. It is not being stated
that Arbcom has no time to do the job. Rather, it is being stated that
if it wants to do the job, it doesn't also have the time to deal with
all the heckling and rewriting of history that can go on after a case is
closed.

Charles