[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:34:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Surreptitiousness
<surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> I'm entirely unsure the arbcom isn't an idea whose time has run, at
>> least in its present form - it needs a shakeup to avert the regulatory
>> capture.
>>
> Hmmm.  To do that I suppose you would have to create some rules on who
> can run.  Maybe bar admins from running for starters, that might reduce
> the risk of arbcom siding with admins.

<snip>

[Disclosure: I'm one of the currently serving arbitrators]

As far as ArbCom siding with admins, I suggest you gather some data
first. Look at the number of admins desysopped or otherwise sanctioned
by ArbCom in previous years and then compare to this year (2009). That
might give you a clearer picture of what is going on. From what I can
tell, ArbCom have always aimed to

I would also be *very* wary of reports from partisans of what ArbCom
has done, or has been doing this year. Nearly every aggrieved party
will spin things to present cases and incidents to suit their version
of what happened. The actual truth of the matter may be very
different. I'm not saying trust what ArbCom say they've done, but seek
to verify yourself (from the original discussions and actions) what
ArbCom and others are saying, and look to see whether those
criticising ArbCom have a reason to present things in a particular
light.

Also remember that critics of ArbCom have more time to devote to
spinning things their way. Individual arbitrators, and ArbCom as a
whole, often don't have time to respond to protracted and drawn-out
(over months and years sometimes) criticisms of previous or current
decisions. That is a weakness of the model. The single-minded person
can, through a process of continual misrepresentation without
rebuttal, gradually wear people down and effectively rewrite the story
of what happened.

It is precisely that lack of time that means I don't intend to
participate further in this thread, but if people do mention specific
examples, please do look at what was said and done at the time, not
what people are saying now.

Carcharoth