[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 74, Issue 87

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:22:25 UTC 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:13:13 +1000
> From: Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales post on Huffington Post
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If however the actual result is a shift in editing cultural
>> attitudes (measured for instance in the rate of non-BLP
>> articles being semied or protected after the introduction
>> of FR) towards a stricter and more defensive attitude
>> towards addition of new information, there clearly are
>> metrics to evaluate that, and that will be proof of the
>> other sort.
>
> Yep. I, for one, am quite apprehensive about what this will mean in
> practice. My real fear is that anonymous editors will become even more
> marginalised and the rate of new editors will slow further. However, I
> have no concrete basis for thinking this, so I'm keeping quiet about
> it.
>
> Steve

I'm quite keen both on the idea of allowing IP edits on semiprotected
articles via flagged revisions; and on the idea of protecting more
biographies of living people either by semi protection or flagged
revisions. But I agree that we will need to be able to analyze what
happens.

 I'm pretty sure that the number of semi protected articles is on the
rise; So to meaningfully measure the impact of flagged revisions we
will need to compare the number of articles protected this way against
a  projection of how many would have become protected via semi
protection if flagged revisions had not come along. We also need
baseline figures for the number of edits on semiprotected pages that
are currently achieved by IP editors requesting them on talkpages,
against the future number of IP edits to currently semi-protected
articles that will be flagged as OK by other users and go live.

WereSpielChequers