[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Apoc 2400 apoc2400 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:22:11 UTC 2009

This discussion about splitting off sections to articles, notability and
undue weight reminded me of something I encountered recently:

What do you do if you find an article with a short description of the
subject followed by a huge criticism/controversy section with subsections
for every negative opinion about the subject ever published? It is sourced
so just removing most of it will get you reverted by the people who wrote
the article.

I think the ideal thing to do is to expand the other sections until the
criticism is balanced. Is there anything I can do if I don't have the time
or the expertise on the subject to write a long and good article? This must
be a rather common situation for obscure subjects in controversial areas.

One method I heard is effective is to split off the criticism section to a
separate article leaving a short summary. Someone else will probably
nominate it for deletion, which will often end in a delete/merge. Then you
just have to make sure the whole things isn't merged back. It just feels a
bit too underhanded.