[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:55:32 UTC 2009

David, please reread the entire thread and view the eBay store of this
vendor.  It's quite obvious that this vendor does violate copyrights: in the
middle of a section of mostly public domain NASA shots, a publicity portrait
of Nichelle Nichols as Lieutenant Uhura.  And a 1930s portrait of Walt
Disney with Mickey Mouse, offered at exactly the same price as the public
domain material?  Disney Inc. charges a premium when it licenses its
properties; check the price tags at any Disney store.  Various examples like
that are littered throughout its eBay store.

Part of the reason I started this thread was because I confirmed that this
vendor uses our featured pictures and am uncertain how far that overlap
extends.  This vendor jumbles historic material with recent photography,
much of which is public domain but a significant minority of which isn't.
Some of that public domain material is quite recent such as Carol
Highsmith's photography.  We have Highsmith featured pictures, but I don't
trust myself recognize every Highsmith from our own volunteer-created
copyleft photographic FPs--not with regard to a collection this large that
credits none of the authors.

When this thread began I hoped more people would comb the collection in
search of copyleft license violations.  We have been losing FP volunteers
over license violation problems.  It doesn't come as too much of a surprise
to see confusion emerge instead.  But David, to construct a cherry picked
insult is beneath you.  With your long commitment to free culture, I really
expected better.

http://durova.blogspot.com/