[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 00:28:40 UTC 2009

I agree from this, and your previous post, that restoring historical images
can be a difficult process, particularly when the images themselves may have
originally been pure factual journalism rather than having a polemical
purpose, although in my experience, that is more allied to the commentary
attached than the image itself. In the case you cite, processing an image
may well involve some interpretation of the depiction, and you rightly point
out some of the pitfalls involved. Absent the intention of the photographer,
who may not even have considered how his image may have been used (as long
as he was paid), making assumptions I believe to be unhelpful, and even
Original Research. All this convinces me that image restoration should be
limited to correcting obvious physical defects in the source, and not going
beyond that. I am not in any way criticising those who do this (after all,
I've done it with my own images, although I do know what I intended when I
created the image), bur I do believe that restoration should not blur into
interpretation.</ramble>