[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Fri Sep 18 20:17:02 UTC 2009

> The one that matters most to me is that something of the order of 2%
> of speedy nominations are just cleanup cases (sometimes extreme, but
> not nonsense as often tagged).

I assume you're an admin, and have the power to speedily delete. Do
you actually clean up the article instead of deleting? If so, THANK
YOU SO MUCH!

> The next number that occurs to me is that perhaps 5% of speedy
> deletion generate queries. You can see them on my usertalk, where
> most are better than the "Thanks alot jerkoff!" section. They all
> need an accurate answer that is also reasonably helpful.

True. The more somebody doesn't know the social norms of an
environment, the more times you have to remind them of such and help
them out.

> Note that the more polite queries tend to be from "spam"-type
> deletion taggings. The assumption is that helping people who really
> are trying to get their company or product a Wikipedia page is part
> of the job if you patrol CSD. Well, I agree with that but it
> consumes time.

Yeah, it does seem to me that the more "spammy" the article, the more
likely the person simply doesn't know of Wikipedia's COI, spam, and
notability requirements. It's not that they are writing in bad faith,
they really don't know that, for example, just because their
competitor has written an article doesn't mean that they should write
an article about their own company. Sad, really.

> The assumption is that helping people who really are trying to get
> their company or product a Wikipedia page is part of the job if you
> patrol CSD. Well, I agree with that but it consumes time.

Perhaps the main obstacle in helping someone is the time consumption.