[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Fri Sep 18 19:42:31 UTC 2009

> When we see ex-wikipedians complaining about abusive admins, they
> often didn't meet actual administrators, but self-appointed gate
> keepers.

Any way to make admin status more obvious? I mean, I know being an
admin isn't supposed to be a big deal, but obviously a newcomer (or
even an oldcomer) may get mistake an experienced editor for an admin.
This makes a difference in not only semantics, but the tasks that an
editor would be expected to take on, etc.

> While we have always been very good at dealing with the obvious
> negative consequence of "anyone can edit", vandalism, we have been
> completely unable to reign in on the flip side of "anyone can be a
> cop": bullies and people with a need talk down on others.

You're right. I know this is a controversial opinion, but I believe
this to be a consequence of a consensus that "All civility blocks are
bad". No. A few civility blocks might be bad, but civility blocks are
needed.  I think this spills over into other consequences of being
uncivil, like desyopping and civility parole. After all, any civility-
related consequence is such a Big Deal that we need to leave that up
to ArbCom.

> If a newbie somehow figures out how to complain about being bitten,
> we assume he or she is a vandal until proven otherwise.

I personally try not to assume a newbie is a vandal--mistaken,
perhaps, but not a vandal.  I can see people ABF toward newbies
though, and that's frightening!