[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:17:20 UTC 2009

The assumptions that support the use of such polls elsewhere do not
hold with this:
a. for true mass media, polling viewers on their views of news events,
the assumption is that the number of readers is high and diverse
enough to prevent manipulation
b. for professional topics on professional lists or blogs, the
assumption is that the resource is unknown except to the initiated
c. for polls over Wikipedia questions, the assumption is that only
regular editors will get involved at all, & that if it is an issue
subject to votepacking, non-aligned editors will make a point to
participate
d. for political elections, that the view of the majority must be
followed, whether for practical or ideological reasons, regardless of
prejudice
None of these are actually all that accurate assumptions, but , but
they're better than the situation here.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.