[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 14 09:54:44 UTC 2009

FT2 wrote:
> If we did try, then a WikiJournal would be a classic case where we could do
> the job right using present tools, and achieve something that most similar
> sites won't do. Try this:
>

>    - Anyone can post up a paper, in usual academic form (ie authors info
>    would be required, formal citations, and so on).
>    - The draft is held back using Flagged Revisions, similar to Wikinews'
>    configuration, at the point of writing.
>    - Other users then discuss and critique and identify as a peer review
>    process, issues to be addressed (NPOV would probably fail as a criteria
>    since many good papers are written from the view of one specific author or
>    team; we'd need some more suitable criterion here).
Considering that competent refereeing is the practical  bottleneck for a
peer-review-led system: perhaps the point can be sharpened. If
wiki-style collaborative refereeing is something that will work, then
this concept is plausible and the WMF should at least take an interest.
If not - if backlogs and pickiness will predominate over sensible
closures of a revision - then the idea is worth relatively less.

Charles