[WikiEN-l] Bulk upload on Commons

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:52:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As with most such things, it's surely the latter. But do we want to
> encourage mass uploads? I thought people were already rather unhappy
> with so much fair use and copyvios and poor quality uploads (these
> were the cited reasons for not moving all non-fairuse on en to
> Commons), and promotion of tools would necessarily encourage use by
> non-savvy users...

If that's the case, then we have a huge problem. That's saying that we
want to build this massive free repository of images, but we can't
trust people to fill it up. Surely there are solutions, to allow us to
quickly detect and repel "bad" uploads, while assisting those who make
"good" uploads.

Steve