[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Sun Sep 13 21:14:01 UTC 2009

> In Hawaiian, "wiki" (or "wikiwiki", I think) means "quick". In
> English it means a website that anyone can edit.

I agree with this. We need to acknowledge that standard Hawaiian and
non-standard English are two different languages and aren't even the
equivalent dialect.

> You can restrict the editing, but if you don't intend for your group
> of readers and your group of writers to overlap heavily, then you
> shouldn't be using wiki software. There are better ways for a small
> group to collaborate of material intended for a much larger group to
> read.

I also agree with this. The "letter" of releasing Mediawiki to the
public mean anyone can use it for any purpose, but the "spirit"
dictates that if you don't intend to have people edit it in a
"Wikipedia-style" fashion (ie We assume good faith here, so you start
out with these editing privileges), then you need to go elsewhere.