[WikiEN-l] "Well-known"

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 13 09:53:38 UTC 2009

Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:25:28 +1000
>> From: Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
>>
>> Disagree. High quality, comprehensive, readable information is far
>> more important than English grammar pedantry. "Most well known" or
>> "best known"? Whichever one is currently in the article. Focus your
>> efforts elsewhere.
>>

> One can hardly call a respect for good grammar pedantry.  The quality of
> information is diminished when it is expressed by imprecise language.
> Good grammar and usage is exactly what makes it readable.
>

>> (Bias: Background in linguistics and technical writing.)
>>

> So what?

IMX, copyeditors do have a bias towards laxer, even technically
ungrammatical constructions, if they feel they communicate well with
average readers. What Steve is saying is something I recognise as a
coherent POV found in real life, therefore. I would accept the label
"pedantic" for the point or points I have raised, but I think in certain
examples the "wrong" construction also sounds wrong. It's an odd one: I
think it is careless prose writing to put "more well known", but it
doesn't stand out as an obvious colloquialism. I agree with Ec to the
extent of saying my POV is different and certainly valid: smaller
stylistic points do add up.

Charles