[WikiEN-l] Another Media and Wikipedia blackout on NYT reporter in Afghanistan

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 10 14:04:42 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
> wjhonson at aol.com wrote:
>> We are supposed to be community-driven.
>> Where is the community consensus on media blackouts?
>> Link please.
>>
> I'm amused by the idea that you can link to community consensus. We need
> a picture of thousands of Wikipedians sitting at their computer with
> either smiles or frowns, which we can link to at times like this. Since
> consensus is supposed to be emergent of the wiki process on Wikipedia,
> per foundation principles, I'm not sure what you mean.  Didn't they link
> to the situation and its resolution? How would that not be a consensus?

I imagine he was hoping for a link to an RFC or a talk page where the
subject had been discussed and a consensus had formed as a result. This
sort of thing happens all the time, I don't see what's amusing or
bizarre about the concept.

Simply linking to the "situation and its resolution" doesn't show
consensus in this case because the "resolution" was imposed without
discussion by a small number of people.