[WikiEN-l] Deletion of unreferenced living person biographies

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:06:43 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/9 Apoc 2400 <apoc2400 at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> On a more general note, PROD is relatively drama-free, but I wonder about
>>> the accuracy. Is it really good to let the hard work an editor that has
>>> since left Wikipedia be deleted based on 5 seconds of consideration and no
>>> discussion?
>>>
>> Anything PRODded can be undeleted by any admin without further process
>> - I've done this a bit (then fixed up the article to address the
>> concern). Presumably interested admins could go through everything
>> deleted via PROD and review it.
>>
>> The idea of PROD was to take heat off AFD - where obvious deletions
>> that weren't speedies could be done without clogging AFD. And it was
>> specifically set up to be minimum-drama.
>>
>> I assume we lose some good stuff. If I'm bored enough I'll go through some time.
>>
>> (Looking at deleted material for encyclopedia-building purposes is one
>> respect in which admins have an actual editorial power, rather than
>> mere janitorial powers.)
>>

> I have seen some PRODs deleted not as PRODs but as CSDs (and
> inaccurate CSDs as well). That sometimes gets me confused. PRODs can
> be undeleted, but I've never been 100% sure about CSDs. Do you need to
> ask the deleting administrator about those first?

Someone else probably caught this, but anything which has been deleted
out of process can be restored by any other admin.  Sure, you can ask
the other admin, probably best if you want to avoid wheel wars, but
there's no harm in restoring first and then asking. Anything which is
deleted due to Office actions or whatever we're calling it now should
say so quite clearly with something like "Beware: Tigers", so if there
are no warnings about Tigers, and you can't for the life of it work out
how that was deleted as such, if it bothers you and you think it belongs
on Wikipedia , just restore it or tap an admin up to.  There's a
category of admins willing to restore stuff.