[WikiEN-l] Another Media and Wikipedia blackout on NYT reporter in Afghanistan

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Wed Sep 9 22:13:01 UTC 2009

> Interesting here is what they say about themselves
> "
>
> Press TV takes revolutionary steps as the first Iranian international
> news network, broadcasting in English on a round-the-clock basis.
>
> Our global Tehran-based headquarters is staffed with outstanding
> Iranian and foreign media professionals.
>
> Press TV is extensively networked with bureaus located in the world's
> most strategic cities."
> ENDQUOTE
>
> We're put in the unenviable position of determining whether this is a
> reliable source.
> They certainly seem internet-savvy from mousing around their site.
>
> Will

Well, you see, with respect to news of the Taliban's doings, they
probably are much more reliable then other media. They did talk to a
Taliban regional commander and got the story. I'm sure the CIA took their
information seriously. It is a fiction that they are not reliable as it
is a fiction that a Taliban commander is a not lot more trustworthy than,
say, the President of Afghanistan. However, we need not be so clever as
all that. We can play dumb, and should. And users who come upon this
information can chose to play along, or not. At some point, a reasonably
perceptive person will realize that the information is hot, and
inappropriate for inclusion in Wikipedia.

Let's suppose you have in your possession exact detailed plans for a
small H-bomb. Would you think you could simply put it into Wikipedia?

Fred