[WikiEN-l] Deletion of unreferenced living person biographies

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 20:33:27 UTC 2009

2009/9/8 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Is there a problem with unreferenced BLPs? Potentially harmful
>> information in a BLP should always be referenced, but if there isn't
>> anything potentially harmful then what is the problem? I would remove
>> potentially harmful unreferenced material per WP:BLP and leave it at
>> that.
>>
> It is of course handy to know that the article refers to a real,
> existing person, not a hoax. Everything in WP is supposed to be
> verifiable, and that applies to BLPs too.

True, but that isn't a BLP issue, it is a general article issue. You
can't use that argument to support deleting unreferenced BLPs on sight
unless you argue for deleting all unreferenced articles on sight. (I
might an actually support that argument - the sources in an article
should be the actual source of the information and only the author
knows that so they should be the one citing the source.)