[WikiEN-l] Putting some perspective on the end of Wikipedia

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Tue Sep 8 14:58:47 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Would it be possible for you to do a comparison with Wikipedia just
> before semiprotection was enabled? I've long wanted to know whether
> the argument that semiprotections would replace full protections holds
> any water.
>
> This would also seem to be quite important to know for flagged,
> inasmuch as that argument has been recycled for flagging pages...

I'm not a DB/server-tools whiz, so I just did my analysis from a wiki page to get a gloss and hopefully prompt someone who knows what they are doing to correct and extend it. My analysis was prompted because of all the discussion of flagging and I very much second your question and hope someone will step forth.

I'm also cc:ing wiki-research and will refer to my brief analysis [1] in the hopes that a DB/quant person would be interested in the question.

[1]:http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/social/wikipedia/protection-figures