[WikiEN-l] Google Books class action lawsuit

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:29:02 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> Ok, so it would be publisher or author, then.
>

> And how are they going to find out about it?

The same way file sharers get caught when they share lots of music and
films? It is not likely that anyone would "steal" enough books in this
manner to make for a worthwhile case in itself, but they might choose
to sue anyway in an attempt to intimidate others out of acting
similarly.

> Yes people get sued for bypassing DRM (*), but not many.
>
> (*) Maybe.  Has anyone been successfully sued for merely *bypassing* DRM,
> and not trafficking in DRM bypassing devices?  The very short list of DRM
> cases I know of are all trafficking cases.

You may be right, I haven't researched it in detail.