[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Wired: Wikipedia to Color Code Untrustworthy Text

Nathan Russell windrunner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 13:25:42 UTC 2009

I think there's a real risk here, to be even more blunt.

Calling it a trust system risks someone looking at a piece of text and
saying "oh, look, this is trusted, so i can
-rely on this as advice before doing something dangerous/in making a
medical decision/etc"
-use this as my sole source in writing my college paper"
-take for granted the claim this text makes that a living person
cheated on his spouse (or worse possibilities"
-assume this means WP as a group/the foundation itself makes the claim
that *I* cheated on someone"
... and then, when the claim proves to be false, become angry and go
after the Foundation?  Not necessarily legally, though....  I fear
that if they make an assumption "this text is highlighted as high
trust, so it can be trusted", and are told that this is the meaning on
a help page, we could be liable.

Nathan