[WikiEN-l] How friendly are we to Newbies? Update on the create an article as a newbie challenge

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 04:07:31 UTC 2009

Yes, there are enough misconceptions to make this worth discussion. In
fact,  one oft he reasons for not notifying is when one knows the
notification will be ignored, or, possibly, start a conflict.
Give the official equality of all admins, most of us are not anxious
for conflict, and this is always powerful factor for hiding problems.
If we brought up all the problems we had with one another, the already
combative tendencies of our form of discussion would be overwhelming.

That this leads to non-notification is only part of the problem.  It
also leads to a failure to correct errors. When I see a bad speedy,
unless I think it's really important, I leave it alone, and do not
revert it, although I know it will result in people coming to that
admin's talk page thinking there have been no problems. To a certain
degree, that we get along is more important as a practical matter than
that we get it right.  I'd like to find a way to deal with this.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.