[WikiEN-l] Can sweet reason still work on en:wp? Occasionally.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:26:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> to the end. Rather than saying "I am invoking IAR and I did this because X",
> just say "I did this because X."

Disagree. The response to "I did this because X" is, "But there's rule
Y, which you should have followed." Explicitly evoking IAR makes it
clear that you know about Y, and have a reason for ignoring it.

That said, surely the original AfD closer should have invoked WP:SNOW,
not WP:IAR. That's what he was really doing: saying there was no
chance at all of consensus, therefore speedying the decision.

Steve