[WikiEN-l] Can sweet reason still work on en:wp? Occasionally.

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Oct 21 01:46:36 UTC 2009

Ryan Delaney wrote:
> [...] Since IAR is not itself
> a justification for anything, there is never any useful information added by
> saying "I am invoking IAR." The only defense is "I did this because X" where
> X is the reason that what you did was a good idea, so you might as well skip
> to the end. Rather than saying "I am invoking IAR and I did this because X",
> just say "I did this because X."

Are folks here familiar with the shu ha ri model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuhari
http://martinfowler.com/bliki/ShuHaRi.html

You can think of it as roughly equivalent to apprentice, journeyman, and
master. This division has been useful to me in my work, helping people
adopting software development methods. In particular, I end up
explaining things differently.

People at the shu level are very focused on rules and rituals. People at
the ri level have transcended them. In that framework, IAR is an
explicit shu-level indicator that there are other levels to work at, and
that rule-followers should honor that.

Given that, I think shu-level participants can sometimes use an explicit
mention that IAR is being invoked, even if it is almost insultingly
obvious to the ri-level participants. In other contexts, IAR is
unnecessary; power structures lets masters do what they want anyhow. But
as in so many other ways, Wikipedia is different.

William