[WikiEN-l] Anyone who can't remember the noughties wasn't there?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 12:43:30 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Guardian stories today about 40 years of the Internet, part of it being
> a list of firsts:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/23/internet-history
>
> Apparently Wikipedia got going in 2004? I could have sworn it was
> earlier ... Where do they research these things?
>
> Charles

Certainly not wikipedia...

At least they credit Ward Cunningham. On the issue
of Internet Cafés they perpetrate the canard that that
Cyberia in London was in some sense the first one, when
in fact it was inspired by the Finnish CompuCafe.

Never mind the way earlier implementations mentioned
in [[Internet Café]].

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen (proud owner of CompuCafes beer
robot value cards numbers 45 and 90)