[WikiEN-l] How friendly are we to Newbies? Update on the create an article as a newbie challenge

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:20:50 UTC 2009

Last week George Herbert requested that I update this list on the
progress of my test [[User:WereSpielChequers/Newbie treatment]] where
I and other volunteers create new accounts which submit new articles
to Wikipedia.

The results so far, with 5 editors creating 7 "newbies" who've
submitted 9 articles.

Firstly the guarantee that someone would tag your new article for
deletion within two minutes. Well six out of nine were tagged for
deletion, though with times ranging from one minute after creation to
almost an hour; so the good news is that most survived their first two
minutes untagged. The bad news is that yes we do have a problem with
overenthusiastic speedy tagging, there are various possible solutions
to this including
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Speedy_deletion_-_24_hour_pause_for_some_articles

As for surviving seven days, three have gone, three had to be rescued,
and three have survived the week unscathed.  Again,  not as bad as our
critics may think, but yes we have a problem.

Of our newbies, one has received a template welcome, two "welcome
warnings" for their unloved offerings, and four have not been
welcomed. My own unloved alter ego whose unpatrolled article has yet
to be edited by anyone else, still has a redlinked talkpage as does
his article. Possible responses to this include
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Welcome_all_useful_new_users,_if_necessary_by_a_bot

On the plus side one editor declined a speedy and rescued one of these
articles, so I gave them a Barnstar.

WereSpielChequers