[WikiEN-l] WP and Deep Web, was Re: Age fabrication and original research

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 04:44:50 UTC 2009

Steve,some comments:

1. The best role of a librarian is to teach other people how to do
research, just as Phoebe didi with  Charles Matthews, and Ben Yates
for   her colleagues did with  Charles Matthews, and Ben Yates  in
''How Wikipedia Works''
 (http://howwikipediaworks.com/ the free online version.)

2, Another excellent goal is to help people do their searches,,
because it is not the least trivial to  "formulate search strings."
and have someone else run them on the data bases they have access to.
The art of   a librarian or other proper literature searcher is rather
more complex: selecting the best database to run it , formulating the
proper search statement, evaluating the preliminary  results, and then
repeating the necessary number of iterations until one finds just what
one does want or concludes it isn't there. Myself, even for the
simplest searches to check on refs. for notability on a current topic,
I typically do about 3 or 4 intermediate searches  before I think I
get it right-. If I get it right the first time, it's only because of
many years of knowledge in doing these searches.   We're not
technicians.  (And it does not require a formal library degree--many
people learn either by instruction or experience how to get it right
in their subjects)

3. I do not advise testing how far  AGF gets us with  or some of the
more hostile publishers in law and engineering.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.