[WikiEN-l] I wonder if the FTC decision on blogs covers Wikipedia edits

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 21:16:06 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> If you are in the US and you blog and are paid or receive oher
> commercial benefits for it, the FTC requires you to reveal the
> relationship:
>
> http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/2009/10/new-ftc-federal-trade-commission-guidelines-disclose-product-review-blogola-payola-favorable-blog-comments-more-transparency.html?EXTKEY=KEYCODE=OTC-ConsumeristRSS
>
> Now, would this cover Wikipedia edits?

Make sure you read this sentence:

"The guides, last updated in 1980, are administrative interpretations
of the law aimed at helping advertisers comply with the Federal Trade
Commission Act, and they’re not binding law themselves."

If you want to try and interpret the guides, make sure you do so with
that fact in mind.