[WikiEN-l] Historical text highlighting wiki gadget

Aaron Halfaker half0032 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 5 19:46:11 UTC 2009

>1. I take it the darker the red, the newer the text? It's unclear what
the difference between
>'unvetted' and 'trustworthy' is.

"Trustworthy" means that the content has stood the test of previous
editors and has survived for long periods of time whereas "unvetted" has
not.  This is intended to support two workflows: determining what
(unvetted) content needs to be reviewed and being cautious around
content that has stood the test of time and other editor's eyes.

>2. How sophisticated is the tool? I'm guessing the algorithm is just
'look back in the history
>until the text is no longer there'; does it catch when a string is
being deleted & reverted often?

The algorithm is designed to take reverts into account in that it keeps
track of words and re-attributes them to their original author if they
are replaced by a revert.  The algorithm is based on how long words
survive through the history of an article but is not affected by the
number of times any word has been removed and replaced.

>3. At least here, the script overrides my monobook.css customizations
(green foreground, black
>background); any chance of a fix for that?

That would be very difficult to work into the interface.  I imagine the
red background would look like CHRISTMAS with your green text.  It seems
to me that a better solution would be to give you control of the style
of the whole edit pane (including the gradient).  I'll start looking at
that in the next couple days.  As I get a better understanding of the
problem space, I'll drop a message on your talk page so that I can know
if my plan will work for you.

-Aaron Halfaker
[[User:EpochFail]]