[WikiEN-l] My most reused piece of free content

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 06:03:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Judson Dunn <cohesion at sleepyhead.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Those are great for long policy pages, especially for new users. It's
> > probably one of my favorite templates in terms of usability. They
> > might be a little too useful though, people want to use them
> > everywhere! ;)
> >
> > I don't really like template cruft in the article like that, but the
> > idea is great. I think the first paragraph should be the same thing
> > though. (The topic in a nutshell).
> >
> > Judson
>

> Yeah, it is a great idea.... that's why we have article introductions,
> right?
>
> - causa sui

Yep! Our style of having an introductory paragraph that is a summary of the
salient points of the whole article (rather than a "hook" to get people to
read the whole thing) is a great editorial choice in my opinion. It also
makes our content, with the API, extremely re-usable. For example, the
National Library of Australia sucks in our introductory paragraph of
articles about Australian newspapers for use in their newspaper digitsation
project - for example, look in the top-right hand corner of their landing
page for "The Argus": http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/title/13 (they
also do a similar thing with our articles about individual authors in their
book catalogue search.

-Liam [[wittylama]]