[WikiEN-l] New site for meta-discussion

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:05:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that was absolutely uncalled for - you should apologize to
>> Jake for your comments.
>
> I'll happily apologise. But what was wrong in my assessment that
> starting a new community is the solution to any perceived problems
> either here or on wiki or other places where we can discuss things?

The problem is that you misunderstood what he was saying, and then
harshly criticized what you mistakenly took him to mean. He was asked
"Can you describe the editorial policy [of wikien.net]?" He replied
that it would be a relaxed forum for discussion and chitchat, with 'no
trolling or outing' as a caveat to the relaxed moderating. Nowhere did
he make a claim about on-wiki (or on-list) problems of trolling or
outing (outing is making public personal details on someone who edits
psuedonymously). The background, which you evidently missed, is that
some non-wiki forums used to discuss Wikipedia expressly allow both
trolling and outing.

Nathan