[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Downtime this morning

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:25:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> stevertigo wrote:
>> Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> nagios?
>>> ganglia?
>>> 4-CPU apache?
>>> scap?
>>> swap?
>>> memcached node?
>>> <eyes glazing over>
>>> Is it fixed now? Oh, good. :-)
>>
>> Off the top of my head...
>>
>> "Nagios" is ostensibly the report server and caching manager and
>> "ganglia" IIRC is a page caching manager.
>
> Actually neither of them are "caching managers" or have any direct
> role in caching. This isn't the forum to go into a detailed discussion
> of what they do mean, and a google search would do just as well to
> fill Carcharoth in, if he was actually interested, which he obviously
> isn't.

Why, thank you. :-)

Sometimes it is nice to get explanations (understandable ones) from
real people, not webpages.

This is why we have a Reference Desk and (possibly) mailing lists.

And to be honest, if I had Googled myself some understanding of this,
I may have ended up even more confused about it. If I had asked
questions like this on the wikitech-l mailing list, would I have been
told to Google the answer? Hey, maybe the Reference Desk *is* the
right place for questions like this?

Carcharoth