[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia dying?

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:06:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Sage Ross
<ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com<ragesoss%2Bwikipedia at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> This article by Evgeny Morozov, nominally a review of Andrew Lih's
> book "The Wikipedia Revolution", is worth reading:
>
> http://www.bostonreview.net/BR34.6/morozov.php
>
> -Sage

I've long puzzled over why journalists constantly post editorials
criticizing Wikipedia and proclaiming that it will never take off. I thought
that eventually we'd win them over.

Then I realized why this will never happen.

News media is a business. We are a threat to their model. Therefore, it's
important to them to convince their readers that Wikipedia is unreliable,
whether it is or not. They will never stop criticizing and attacking us as
long as  we undermine their bottom line.

As such I have no interest in news print or journalist opinions of
Wikipedia. Their paychecks depend on our failure. Pay them no heed.

- causa sui