[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:48:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:52 PM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Deletion is good because it totally dispenses with junk.
>>
>> Parsing... "Destruction = [qualitative superlative] because
>> [destruction] [completely destroys] [things that need destroying]."
>>
>> Please let us all pledge to henceforth refrain from employing circular
>> logic in our arguments. And likewise let us pledge to point and giggle
>> at these  circulars whenever we have to see them.
>
> If  everyone agreed that "junk" was synonymous with "things that need
> destroying", we wouldn't be having this discussion. Some people think
> that "junk" is synonymous with "things that should be stored
> indefinitely for the public to access".

Some people think junk isn't junk. Or rather, one's person's junk is
another person's treasure. Not that obscure articles that can be
rescued are really treasure, but you get the point.

I do like DGG's point that by working on new articles, you help
educate new users. That is a very important part of bringing new
editors into the community. Not everyone learns by watching, and some
that learn by watching are watching the wrong people.

Carcharoth