[WikiEN-l] Intellipedia

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:47:39 UTC 2009

2009/5/27 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:
>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:36 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Linking to wikipedia pages would be kinda risky. One leak of what CIA
>>> IPs are and we can then use server logs to track what the CIA and
>>> simular are interested in.
>>
>> The IP addresses used by the CIA are not secret.
>
> It would, nevertheless, be an abuse of checkuser to run those searches,
> without cause.
>
> Fred

Edits aren't the issue. The reason I think it is unlikely that their
links are truly external is well consider the following.

Suppose a developer pulled up the server logs for today and found a
bunch of CIA IPs looking at North Korean related articles. Wouldn't
mean much since with the nuclear test we would expect the CIA to have
a heightened interest in that subject right now. Now suppose they
found a bunch of views of Mauritania and related. That would be an
information leak.

Now sure the CIA will have access to IPs registered through front
companies and the like (the web is too useful to cut yourself off from
completely) but there is always a risk of those being compromised so I
would again expect them to have an internal copy of wikipedia at least
as a first port of call.

On the separate issue of trying to get CIA code there is still the
question of how certain are you that you can beat a CIA attempt to
insert an obfuscated back door?

--
geni