[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun May 24 22:46:29 UTC 2009

In a message dated 5/24/2009 12:11:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

> > At any rate, the person would have to sue the editor, not the project,
> and
> > the editor could stand on the basis of simply quoting the PDR.
>
> Could they sue other people that have edited the article without
> fixing the mistake? What about someone that reverted vandalism to that
> sentence, thus putting back the incorrect information? We can't rely
> on the law only holding the person directly responsible liable.>>

--------------------
I don't think you would agree if this logic were extended to all articles.

Am I responsible, fixing the birthplace of George Bush, that someone else,
in another section of that article has said "He killed his parents when he
was three."

No I'm not responsible for that.  I'm solely responsible for the edits I
make, not those of others.

Similar to reverting vandalism.  If the previous version was incorrect,
than the responsibility rests on whomever put that into the article in the
first place.  Not on any subsequent editor.  We are not all experts in what the
PDR does and doesn't say.  But any of us can fix spelling errors in an
article.  That does not mean, that we must know and approve the entire article
and be responsible for it, simply because we are changing something of little
consequence in it.

That's true for all articles, not just ones on drugs.

Will Johnson