[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun May 24 19:14:08 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Delirium wrote:
>
>> As far as I understand, the main stumbling blocks have been that nobody
>> can agree on who should make the database, what the process will be for
>> verifying information, what access policies should be like, who would be
>> responsible if there were errors in it, what constitutes evidence worth
>> including, etc., etc. Seems doctors are voting with their feet and
>> deciding that Wikipedia's attempt at tackling all those is at least
>> better than nothing.
>>

> This (medical info) case is certainly an interesting instance of WP
> "undercutting" what people would generally agree was a well-founded
> desire to have authoritative information.
I agree the desire for authoritative information is well-founded, but
you can go too far and have paralysis: since nobody's yet agreed on what
the most perfect, most authoritative source of information would be, we
shouldn't have one at all? Surely building *something* is better, which
is basically what Wikipedia has done, with tentative and in-progress
answers to all those tricky questions of authority and process. Maybe a
medical organization can build something better than Wikipedia for their
field, with more authoritative information and a better process. But
they haven't, despite a decades-long headstart on us in the planning
department. Rather than undercutting, maybe we'll actually stimulate a
renewed sense of urgency to produce an alternative?

-Mark